GETTING STARTED IN SUMMER: This is a good time of year to get started. All the weeds are up and if you are cultivating the hot sun will help dry out the roots of perennial weeds. Just remember, when planting in the summer, it doesn't hurt to actually fill each planting hole with water.
Getting Started Checklist
Now that you are ready to Get Started, here is a good checklist to follow. Observe your garden site across the span of a day and if possible during different seasons and try to answer the following questions: (FYI these are also the very questions we will ask you if you have any questions for us, so you can save some time and be prepared for your trip to The Farm)
• How is it oriented- North, South, East or West?
• From which direction does it get most of its light?
• Are there obstructions to light? If so are they unchanging? (Buildings, fences, evergreens)
• Do they change? (Deciduous trees or shrubs)
• How does the lawn grow in that location?
• What kind of soil do you have?
• Is there a downspout, sidewalk or driveway nearby?
• Do Rhododendrons grow well for you or your neighbors?